-Regio (Royal), Ithaca, New York, May 2021
– Regio (Royal), works-in-progress, Festival of Latin American Contemporary Choreographers
-Y Basta Ya, Collaborator with NAKA Dance Theater and Mujeres Unidas y Activas, Women’s Building, San Francisco, May 31-June 1,
-Cacartel, Cucumbia, Live Arts in Resistance, Eastside Arts Alliance, Oakland, California, March 17-18, 2017
-Soil, PerFarmance Project; Coventry, England, UK, July 2016
-Cinco Palmas; UC Berkeley; Berkeley, CA, February, 2016
-Land that Speaks, PerFarmance Project; Madison, Minnesota, USA, July 2015
-Cinco Palmas (Excerpt); Festival of Latin American Contemporary Choreographers, Mission Cultural Center for Latino Arts, San Francisco, CA, USA, September 24-27, 2015.
-Funeral of Necessity; Lab Run, Room 7, UC Berkeley, Berkeley, California, USA, April 30-May 2, 2015.
-Psychosis 4.48; Casa de la Cultura; Morelia, Michoacan, Mexico
-Birthday, Birthday; Zenon Dance Zone Fall Residency Choreographer, The Cowles Art Center, Minneapolis, MN, Fall 2013
-Cacartels, Cacaffeine and Cucumbia; Choreographers Evening, Walker Art Center, Minneapolis, MN, Fall 2013
-A Village in the Woods on the Hill at the Crossroads of the World, Unlisted, Pittsburgh, PA, September 2013
-Transfer Over Wooden Tables; A PerFarmance Project, Cloneen, Ireland, April 13 – May 2, 2013
-Singular/Plural; Unlisted, BITEF Festival, Belgrade, Serbia, Sept 17-23, 2012
-Los Tres Peligros; Site-Specific Performance, San Francisco del Rincon, GTO, Mexico, Sept 8-9, 2012
-La Bestia y La Mochila; Site-Specific Performance, Irapuato, GTO, Mexico, August 18, 2012
-Movement Forum at The Leonardo; Salt Lake City, UT, USA, July 27, 2012
-Mapping Balkan Cities Through Dance; Prishtina, Kosovo, Novi Sad, Serbia, Bor, Belgrade, February 2012-June 2012
-The Artist is Not Present; Mudson Series, September 19, 2011, Masonic Temple, Salt Lake City, UT
-a comic hero of two cultures; What Type Are You?, April 22-23, 2011, The Rose Est., Salt Lake City, UT
-Future Step/Paso; Mudson Series, April 18, 2011, Masonic Temple, Salt Lake City, UT
-Prison Of Form; Apple Heel, Flying Fish, Mar. 25-26, 2011, Merce Cunningham Studio, New York, NY
-a comic victim of two cultures ( work-in-progress); 5 New Days, Jan. 5, 2011, Urban Lounge, Salt Lake City, UT
-There Was Almost No Movement; Movement Gallery, Nov. 19-20, 2010, Salt Lake Community College, Salt Lake City, UT
-Prison of Form; DUMBO Dance Festival, Sept. 24-26, 2010, John Ryan Theatre, New York City, New York
-Fragmented Memory; Rowland Hall Saint Mark’s High School, Fall 2010, Salt Lake City, UT
-Hogar; El Convivo/Gathering, Sept. 17, 2010, Mestizo Institute of Culture and Art, Salt Lake City, UT
-From Any Waffling Moment; What If, April 2, 2010 Jenne Wagner Center, Salt Lake City, UT
-Prison of Form; The Grey Area, March 4-6, 2010 Sugarspace Performing Arts Center, Salt Lake City, UT
-Another Time Stamp on this Old Map; The Grey Area, March 4-6, 2010 Sugarspace Performing Arts Center, Salt Lake City, UT
-Everybody’s Business; The Grey Area, March 4-6,2010 Sugarspace Performing Arts Center, Salt Lake City, UT
-Prison of Form (Work-in-Progress); Artists With Audiences Responding to Dance, November 14, 2009, Salt Lake City, UT
-Emoticon; Rowland Hall Saint Mark’s High School, Spring 2009, Salt Lake City, UT
-Zodiac Tattoo; September 26-27, 2008, Rose Wagner Blackbox, Salt Lake City, UT
-Viscosity; Proving Ground Series, September 13-14, 2008, Rose Wagner Blackbox, Salt Lake City, UT
-Need; Sojourn Challenge Conference, June 28, 2008, Salt Palace Convention Center, Salt Lake City, UT
-Moving Histories, Shifting Bodies, Artsbridge America, March 7, 2008, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT
-M; Artists With Audiences Responding to Dance, Nov. 17, 2007 Sugar Space; Salt Lake City, UT
–The Game; New York International Fringe Festival, August 15-19, 2007; New York City, NY
-Movement Forum Presents: The Game, August 2007; Salt Lake City, UT
-Aun no Se Habian Apagado los Fuegos de la Revolucion.
Agora (Here), April 6-8, 2006 University of Utah Modern Dance Dept. Senior Concert; Salt Lake City, UT
–Without/Within; Salt Lake City Gallery Stroll, Spring 2005, Salt Lake City, UT
Ph.D. Performance Studies 2014 — 2020; Berkeley, USA
University of California, Berkeley
- Expected Graduation 2020
- Dissertation Title: “Choreotopias: Performance, State Violence, and the Near Past”
- Committee Members: SanSan Kwan (Chair, Performance Studies), Juana María Rodriguez (Ethnic Studies), Ivonne Del Valle (Spanish and Portuguese)
- QE Areas: Dance and Performance in Mexico’s Colonial Period (Valle); Sexuality and Latinidad (Rodríguez); Dance and The Political (SanSan Kwan)
- Date Advanced to Candidacy: May 12, 2017
- Relevant Graduate Course Work: Sexual Subjects (Juana Maria Rodriguez); New Trends in Dance Studies (SanSan Kwan); Performance in/from the Global South (Catherine Cole); Cities and Citizenship (James Holston); Performance Theory (SanSan Kwan); Transnational Paradigms in Ethnic Studies (Ramon Grosfoguel); Latin American Studies (Stephanie Ballanger), Framing Migration (Deniz Gokturk)
- Research and Teaching Interests: Choreographic Theory, Mexicanidad and Colonialism, Border Studies, Citizenship and Sexuality, Performance and Utopias, Undocumentedness and Embodiment
- Dissertation-Year Fellowship 2019-2020
- Andrew W. Mellon-Chancellor’s Fellow 2014-2019
M.A. International Performance Research 2011 — 2013; Coventry, United Kingdom
University of Warwick and University of Arts in Belgrade
- Thesis Title: “Choreographic Mobilities: Embodied, Relational, and Clandestine Migratory Acts Across the Mexico-U.S. Border”
- Committee Members: James Harding (Chair), Silvija Jestrovic, and Ivana Vujic
- Relevant Graduate Course Work: Performance as Research, Migration and Performance
- Erasmus Mundus Fellow 2011-2013
B.F.A. Modern Dance: B.A. Anthropology 2002 — 2008; Salt Lake City, USA
University of Utah
Instructor, Dance and The Political: Unruly Moves Since the 1960s. Department of Theater, Dance, and Performance Studies, UC Berkeley, Spring 2019
- Sole course responsibility, 18 students
- Fulfills Reading and Composition Course Requirement
Teaching Assistant, Dance in American Cultures, Department of Theater, Dance, and Performance Studies, UC Berkeley, Fall 2018
- Discussion Section Leader, 60 students
- Fulfills American Cultures Requirement
Teaching Assistant, Performance, Television, and Social Media, Department of Theater, Dance, and Performance Studies, UC Berkeley, Summer 2017
- Discussion Section Leader, 50 students
- Section Blog: https://juanmanuel118ac.wordpress.com/
- Fulfills American Cultures Requirement
Instructor, Undocumented Subjects: Performance and Immigration in and outside the United States. Department of Theater, Dance, and Performance Studies, UC Berkeley, Spring 2017
- Sole course responsibility, 18 students
- Fulfills Research Requirement
- Course Fieldtrip to Immigration Detention Center in Oakland, California
Instructor, Undocumented Subjects: Performance and Immigration in and outside the United States. Department of Theater, Dance, and Performance Studies, UC Berkeley, Fall 2016
- Sole course responsibility, 18 students
- Fulfills Reading and Composition Course Requirement
Teaching Assistant, Performance Workshop, Department of Theater, Dance, and Performance Studies, UC Berkeley, Summer 2015
- Sole course responsibility, 5 students
- Develop, produce, and perform evening-length dance theater production with undergraduate students
Instructor, Advanced Improvisation and Dance Composition, Department of Dance University of Utah, 2010
- Co-teaching Responsibility, 23 students
- Fulfills Dance Composition Requirement
Related Professional Experience
Co-Director, Festival of Latin American Contemporary Choreographers, San Francisco, CA, April 2015-Present
- Coordinate Travel with Local and International Guest Choreographers
- Manage Organization’s Operations
- Apply for Grants
- Organize Artist Panel Discussions at California Institute of Integrated Arts, Dance Mission Cultural Center, Latinx Research Center, and UC Berkeley
Borderlines Research and Performance, a multi-year, collaboration with Jose Navarrete and Mujeres Unidas y Activas that explores the relationship between performance, immigrant social justice, and research in the San Francisco Bay Area. Spring 2018-Present
- Organize monthly performance and research sessions
- Coordinate and co-teach a week long workshop for 15 community members and dance artists as part of the FRESH Festival;
Research Assistant, Teatro Project Studio Workshop, Department of Theater, Dance, and Performance Studies, UC Berkeley, Fall 2014- Spring 2015, Professor Angela Marino
- Teatro Project Instructional Improvement
- Teatro Class Student Coordination, 18 students
- Mentored, 3 students
- Coordinated Two Workshop, 40 students
Director, A PerFarmance Project, Jan 2013-2016
- Managed day-to-day Logistics for Independent Performance Company
- Organized international residency projects in Ireland, U.S.
Research Assistant, STATION-Service for Contemporary Dance, Spring 2012; Belgrade, Serbia
- Evaluate existing cultural policies in Hungary and Austria
- Administrative Support for the Interregional (SE Europe) artistic strategic planning retreat
Director and Choreographer, JuMo Dance, Summer 09-2013; Salt Lake City, USA
- Choreographer; Salt Lake City, UT-New York, NY; jumodance.com
Instructor and Performer, Movement Forum Improvisational Dance Company, Summer 2003-2011; Salt Lake City, USA
- Artistic Collaborator and Performer; Webmaster; Lighting Director; Salt Lake City, UT; movementforum.org
Performer, Dance Koester Dance Company, 2007-2009; Salt Lake City, UT
Performer, Eloy Barragan Dance Company, June-August 2006, Iowa City, Iowa and New York City, NY
Research Assistant, University of Iowa, June – August 2006
- Transcribe and translate field interview with six Mexican choreographers
- Iowa Old Gold Fellowship
Administrative Assistant, American Dance Festival, Durham, North Carolina
- Coordinate communication between featured artists and festival director
- Support director with administrative office duties
“Where the Disappeared Are Forced to Roam: Forensic Performances and Mexican Artistic Practice,” Performance Research (Under Review)
“Dancing Again: My Body After a Near-Death Accident,” In Dance Magazine (June 2019).
“Violence and Performance Research Methods: Direct-Action, ‘Die-ins,’ and Allyship in the Black Lives Matter era” in Bruce Barton and eds. Performance as Research: Knowledge, Methods, Impact. Routledge (2018)
“The Global Graduate: Graduating in the Time of the Global University.” with Lisa Skwirblies in Milija Gluhovic and eds. International Performance Research. Palgrave (2017)
“REST/UNREST: Latina/o/x choreographers provide community and craft to strategize, recover, and resist.” In Dance Magazine (October 2017)
“Choreographic Mobilities: Embodied Migratory Acts Across the US-Mexico Border.” Attending to Movement: Somatic Perspectives on Living in this World. Ed. Sarah Whatley, Natalie Garrett Brown, Kirsty Alexander. Devon: Triarchy Press (2015). Print.
“Deschooling Dance.” LoveDanceMore Performance Journal Vol. 5, Fall (2012). Print.
“The Critic Is Dead.” LoveDanceMore Performance Journal Vol. 3, Fall (2011). Print.
“Three Sweet Years.” LoveDanceMore Performance Journal Vol. 2, Spring (2011). Print.
- “Where the Disappeared Are Force to Roam: Forensic Performances and Common Lies.” Dance Studies Association. Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois. August 2019.
- “Unofficial Use: Common Narratives, Histories of Violence, and the Moving Archive.” Panel Organizer. Dance Studies Association, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois. August 2019.
- “Punk Moves and Other Utopic Desires: The Authorship of Piracy.” Encuentro. Hemispheric Institute of Performance and Politics. Universidad Nacional Autónoma de Mexico, Mexico City. Conference Presentation. June 2019.
- “Choreotopias: Assaulted Desires in Asaltodiario’s Street Choreographies in Mexico City from 1985-1994.” Dance Studies Association, July 2018, Malta
- “Dis/embodied Pedagogies: Feeling ‘Blackness’ and Conjuring Anti-Blackness.” American Studies Association, November 2017, Chicago, IL
- “Los Angeles in Retrograde: Zari Le’on’s Choreotopias Across Colonialscapes.” Presenter, Dance Studies Association (Formerly CORD), October 2017, Columbus, OH
- “Contemporary (Dis)Placements: Choreographies of Émigré Bittersweetness, Colonial Retrograde, and Racialized Stillness.” Panel Organizer, Dance Studies Association (Formerly CORD), October 2017, Columbus, OH
- “Choreographing Latin American Knots: CatherineMarie Davalos’ Interlatino Moves in Return, Hiss Panicss, The Invisible American.” Presenter. Congress on Research on Dance. Debut Panel. Pomona College, California. November 2016
- “The Subaltern is Undocumented and Unafraid.” Encuentro. Hemispheric Institute of Performance and Politics. Universidad de Chile, Chile. Conference Presentation. August 2016.
- “Picking Grapes, Pulling Histories: Teatro Campesino’s Genealogies and Performance Practices of Food Security and Labor.” Presenter. International Federation for Theatre Research. Performance as Research Panel. Stockholm, Sweden. June 2016.
- “Pleasure in Circulation: Negotiating the Erotic on the Road to ” Presenter. Framing Migration Conference. UC Berkeley, CA. April 2016.
- “Violent Democracies: Performance Practices of Death and Brutality as a Claim to Justice.” Presenter. International Federation for Theater Research. University of Hyderabad, India. June 2015.
- “Taking Up Space: Performance as Research Aims to Occupy.” Presenter. International Federation for Theatre Research, PaR Working Group. University of Warwick, UK. August, 2014.
- “Choreographic Mobilities.” International Federation for Theatre Research, PaR Working Group. Institute de Teatre, Barcelona, Spain. 21-26 July, 2013. Conference Presentation.
- “The Subaltern is Undocumented and Unafraid: Performing a New American Citizenship Aesthetic.” Presenter. Rethinking the Americas: Peoples, Places and Cultures; Americas Research Group PG Conference. University of Newcastle, Newcastle, UK. March 2012.
- “Choreotopias: Asaltodiario’s Street Choreographies in Mexico City, 1985-1994.” Global Urban Humanities Colloquium, The City and Its People. UC Berkeley. September 11, 2018.
- “Migracíon y la Vida Artistica: Proceso y Metodo en Creacíon.” Universidad Autonama de Mexico (UNAM), May 2017.
- “Choreographic Research: Migration and Performance.” Immigration and Performance, Stanford University, May 8, 2017, Palo Alto, CA
- Multilingual Plays in Canada and the US. Fall 2015.
- University of Utah. Fall 2014.
- “Performance and Immigration in Mexico since the 1980s.” Immigration and Performance, University of Warwick, January, 22, 2013, Coventry, UK
Public Speaking Engagements
- “Borderlines, Aesthetics, and the Alien: A look at contemporary dance from Mexico and Beyond” Eastside Arts Alliance, Oakland, January 2019
- “Where the disappeared are forced to roam: Forensic Performances and Mexican Artistic Practice,” Latinx Research Center, Berkeley, California, November 29, 2018,
- “Latinx Aesthetics in Dance,” Latinx Research Center. Berkeley, California, November 7, 2018,
- “Creating in a Time of Crisis,” FRESH Festival, San Francisco, January, 2018
- Berkeley Dance Project, Zellerbach Theater, UC Berkeley 2016
- Andrew W. Mellon/Dance Studies Association’s Pre-Conference Seminar for Emergent Scholars, August 7-8, 2019
- Sara Huntsman Sturgess Memorial Prize for Outstanding Artistic Accomplishment in Theater, Dance, and Performance Studies 2018-2019, UC Berkeley,
- Debut Panel, Congress on Research in Dance, Annual Conference, Pomona, California, November 2016
- Conference Travel Bursary Award, International Federation for Theatre Research, Hyderabad, India. July 2015
- Conference Travel Bursary Award, International Federation for Theatre Research, Coventry, UK. July 2014
- Conference Travel Bursary Award, International Federation for Theatre Research, Barcelona, Spain. July 2013
- Warwick Global Graduate Gold Award, Warwick Social Enterprise Award (Finalist), University of Warwick. 2013
- Top 30 Screen Dances for Kosovska 39: Into Hiding. 60secondsdance.dk, Denmark. March 2012.
- Erasmus Mundus Scholars. European Commission: Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency (EACEA), 2011
- Arty, Best Outward Mobility. City Weekly’s Best of 2011, Salt Lake City, UT. Spring 2011.
- Arty, Finalist, Best Choreography. City Weekly’s Best of 2010, Salt Lake City, UT. Spring 2010.
- The Award Show (Salt Lake City), Artist Grant. For Prison of Form Sugar Space Studio for the Arts, Salt Lake City, UT. 2009
- First Place, MacBook Pro, Poster Session. Automating Curriculum Media Creation, Distribution and Discovery Workflows
Apple AcademiX Conference (Salt Lake City), University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT. July 2009.
- Artsbridge Scholar. University of Utah. Spring 2008.
- Founder’s Day Scholar. University of Utah. Fall 2006.
- Alumni Association Founder’s Day Scholar,
- R. Hayes Scholar,
- Barbara and Norman Tanner Scholar
- Emma Eccles Fine Arts House Scholar,
Dance Studies Association (formerly CORD), 2012-Present
American Studies Association, 2016-Present
International Federation for Theatre Research (IFTR), 2012-Present
- Performance As Research Working Group Member; Online and Media Communications Team
FRESH Festival, Borderlines Workshop, San Francisco, CA, January 22-26, 2018. Workshop.
Village in the Woods on a Hill at Cross of the World. UNLISTED Festival, Pittsburgh, PA. 21-29 September 2013. Performance and Exhibition.
“Performance Mapping Project.” Arrivals/Departure Video/Film Exhibit. Rio Gallery, Salt Lake City, UT, USA. 17 Jan-March 2013. Exhibition Presentation.
Singular/Plural. UNLISTED BITEF Festival Belgrade, Serbia. 17-23 September 2012. Presentation.
“Tame Dance.” Utah Dance Professionals Summit. Salt Lake City Public Library, Salt Lake City, UT, USA. 13 September 2011. Presentation.
“Movement Horizon: Gesture-Based Technology To Define Teaching Methods.” Utah Dance Education Organization, Spring Conference. University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT. 2011. Conference Presentation.
“Online Video Madness: What’s the Big Deal?” Teaching and Technology Idea Exchange, University of Utah. Marriott Library, Salt Lake City, UT. 10-11 June, 2010. Conference Presentation.
“Automating Curriculum Media Creation, Distribution and Discovery Workflows (Poster Session.” Apple AcademiX Conference, University of Utah. Marriott Library, Salt Lake City, UT. 26 July 2009. Poster Session.
-(R) Museum of Contemporary Art Alfredo Zalce, Morelia, Michoacán, Mexico; October 6-9, 2015
-(R) Zenon Dance Company- Fall 20131 Dance Zone Guest Choreographer, Minneapolis, MN; Fall 2013
-(R) STATION-Center for Contemporary Dance, Belgrade, Serbia; March 2012-Present
-(R) Rowland Hall Saint Marks, SLC, UT; Fall 2010
-(R) Olympus High School, SLC, UT; Fall 2010
-(R) Rowland Hall Saint Marks, SLC, UT; Spring 2009
-(R) Weber State University, Ogden, UT; Fall 2008
-(R) Snow College, Ephraim, UT; Spring 2008
-(R) West High School, SLC, UT; Spring 2008
-(R) Youth Artways, SLC, UT; Spring 2006-Fall 2007
-(R) Appley Valley High School, Minneapolis, MN; Spring 2007, Winter 2008
-(R) West High School, SLC, UT; 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
-(R) Olympus High School, Holladay ,UT; Fall 2007
-(R) Sugarspace Performing Arts Center; SLC, UT; September 2007- Fall 2009
GUEST DANCE INSTRUCTOR
-(G) UDEO High School Dance Festival, Ogden, UT; March 19, 2011
-(G) University of Utah Advance Improvisation Class, SLC, UT; August-September 2010
-(G) University of Utah Freshmen Comp Class, SLC, UT; Spring 2010
-(G) Mundi Project, SLC, UT; Summer 2008
-(G) University of Utah Family Consumer Studies, SLC, UT; 2004, 2005
- Dance Studies Working Group, Organizer, 2016-Present
- Performance in the Americas Working Group Coordinator, 2014-Present
- Performance Speaker Series Coordinator, 2015-2016 (Raised $4,300)
- Graduate Assembly Delegate, 2015-2016
- Production Committee 2014-2015 (Graduate Representative)
- Performance Studies Graduate Speaker Series, Committee; UC Berkeley, 2014-2016
- Rover-Graduate Student Movement Series; UC Berkeley, 2014-2016
- Production Committee; Department of Theater, Dance, and Performance Studies, UC Berkeley, 2014-2015.
- Latino Advisory Council, Mixed Blood Theatre, Artist Advisory Board, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 2013-Present
- Steering Committee; Media on Demand Committee, University of Utah, Fall 2009-2010, Salt Lake City, UT
- Artist Advisory Board. Sugar Space Studio for the Arts. May 2010-2011, 616 East Wilmington Avenue, Salt Lake City, UT 84106
- Orchesis-Dance Honors Society Member
- The Sugar Show. Fall 2011, Rose Wagner Theatre. Salt Lake City, UT,
- Program Developer/WebMaster/Associate Director. Utah DiverCity: November 2008-2011, Salt Lake City, UT 84104 utahdivercity.org
- Program Developer/WebMaster. Utah Dream Center: November 2008-Present, Salt Lake City, UT 84126
- Coordinator and Volunteer. Performing Arts Camp (PAC): July 30-August 3 2007 (Coordinator); July 31–August 4 2006 (Coordinator); August 8-12 2005 (Coordinator); August 2-6 2004. University of Utah, Utah
- Program Developer/Director. Body Words: Fall 2005. Day Riverside Library, Salt Lake City, UT 8411 (801) 594-8632
Available upon request.